Saturday, January 3, 2015

Most Popular Posts of 2014




popular posts, 2014, Scottish emigration blog

I thought I would start of the year with a list of the most popular posts of 2014. If you haven't read them already, I hope will now. Each represents a different facet of what I write about at the Scottish Emigration Blog: diaspora studies, book reviews, immigrant histories and stories, family history and projects, and academic projects. 

  1. Donald Whyte and A Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants This useful title really needs to be republished.
  2. Immigrant Ancestor's Project from Brigham Young University This post introduces this database which has been indexing immigrants since at least 2011.
  3. Who were the British Convicts sent to America, 1718-1775 A summary of Roger Ekirch's 1985 article "Bound for America."
  4. The Bookshelf: Coming to America by Roger Daniels A review of a popular history of immigration to the United States.
  5. Scottish Ancestors in Scandinavia An overview of my ancestor Erik Andersson Kiorbiauw, who was born in Scotland and died in Finland, and Scottish emigration to Scandinavia in the 16th and 17th centuries.
  6. Moy & Dalarossie Parish Emigrants from this parish to Columbiana and Jefferson Counties, Ohio were the subject of my PhD dissertation.
  7. Does Scotland Care About the Diaspora? A summary of three papers by the Scottish Government and defining the term diaspora and engaging the Scottish Diaspora with the homeland.
  8. Scottish Emigration Reading List, part two A listing of some of my favorite books on subject.
  9. Crafting My Heritage How I made a quilt out of tartan swatches from my grandfather's Scottish import shop.
  10. EmigranThursday - The Chisholm and Allan Families An account of the immigrants Henry and William Chisholm who became steel magnates in Cleveland, Ohio.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...